21 October 2010

Men and Women, Girls and Boys

Every so often I am slapped in the face with the reminder that there are some canyons of difference between the sexes that, if I am being general here, just seem to be innate and cannot be bridged. Before I had the twinkies, I was firmly entrenched in the nurture vs nature camp on many behavioural differences. For instance, you often hear that men tend to be more physical and rough, while women are more solitary and prefer quieter activities. Boys hit/girls stroke that kind of thing. I would have gone three rounds with anyone who tried to tell me we are born with many of the behaviours that people commonly define as male and female. I would have gone three rounds until I had boy/girl twins. My two have been like chalk and cheese in the personality department since the day they were born. Sweet little girl is delicate and petite and likes to sit and look through her books. My rugged little man is rough and tumble with a very bulldozer like approach to his day.

When CB and I are at logger heads about the typical things that men and women don't generally see eye to eye on (Money, Division of Labour...you know the types of things) all I have to do is look at my wee ones and I am reminded that innately we are just wired differently. Never were their differences more evident then this morning. Twinkies had to have yet another set of jabs and true to form sweet girl didn't even flinch and rugged man cried his eyes out for the better part of 30 minutes before he fell asleep from exhaustion, then he pooped, then he ate, then he was fine. She never whinged, never cried, didn't fancy having her snack and got grumpy about an hour later before finally giving in to sleep. I love these black and white differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment