12 October 2010

Top 10 Reasons I am glad I waited until I was OLD to have children

Well, first off I don't think anyone plans to have 2 or more at a time. But if you are old (which according to the NHS, I am) it is about the best thing that can happen, in my opinion. You get it all out of the way in one go, no muss no fuss. Just add milk and you have an instant family. So I was lucky in that I got two for one, but in general, here are the top ten reasons I am glad I waited until I was old to have children.

10. At this age, I have no problem sticking up for myself and my children when we get accosted in public. I think at 20 I would have struggled with this, now I don't mind telling people to do one and bugger off.
9. If you rob the craddle and have a young baby daddy like me, you can pretend you aren't old when the occasion warrants. Hence, you have the best of both worlds.
8. I will never be the object of my son's friends affections/fantasies nor viewed as competition by my daughter. And no, I am not sad about either of those things.
7. It doesn't bother me that I have a squishy tummy now and that my hips are in a completely different place then they were BC (Before Critters). I have done enough sunbathing, skinny dipping, running around Ibiza half naked. No need to worry about those bits any longer.
6. I am a much better cook then I was 15 years ago, even though I have always enjoyed the kitchen. I think the monsters greatly appreciate this.
5. To that end, I am a much better professional then I was 15 years ago. As evidenced by the resurgence of my blog, I can multitask now even better then I could BC and my priorities are clear.
4. Because I spent the better part of my 20's awake, either due to partying or working too hard, having twins keep me up most of the night for 4 months was totally manageable.
3. All of those things that kept me awake in my 20's were SOOOO fun, I wouldn't have wanted to miss them for the world. Now, I would much rather duck out of a party early to be home in bed with baby daddy and good book. True story. Everyone said the day would come, but I for one, did not believe them.
2. When my children ask me WHY? I have years of story telling skills behind me to make up answers. When I was a kid some of the answers I got to WHY? were clearly the work of an inexperienced 18 year old mum and 21 year old dad

And the number one reason I am glad I waited until I was old to have kids is....by the time they are off to Uni I will be old enough to enjoy myself but not so old that I have one foot in the grave.

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah - you're back! Congrats on the sprogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks B, I am glad to be back. Congrats dually noted as well!

    ReplyDelete